The following networking ideas come from my friend and fellow professional speaker, Judy Suke. (Judy is not only funny, but she is an excellent networker)
7 STEPS FOR HIGHLY EFFECTIVE NETWORKING
1. Have a polished infomercial and know exactly who you want to target. (Talk to SUCCESSFUL people in your business and ask who the IDEAL CLIENT IS … do some research … put some time in)
2. Learn how to small talk and show genuine interest in people. DON’T BE LOOKING OFF IN THE DISTANCE to see who ELSE is there. Look them in the eye and FOCUS ON THEM DON’T PREJUDGE ANYONE …. Sports equipment … CATERER YOU SHOULD BE ACTING LIKE A HOST – NOT A GUEST
3. Never try to sell to the people at a networking event. Build relationships. – networking events are not for showing product. TIME IS PRECIOUS and people WANT TO and NEED to CIRCULATE. 10 minutes or less 60 seconds to describe product or service
4. Go with a GOAL of the number of IDEAL people you want to connect with.
5. Follow-up with good leads within 48 hours. Let the person who gave you the lead know that you followed up. THANK THEM.
6. Decide how much time per month you want to spend networking.
7. Track success patterns and establish a system to sustain your business.