I found a great article on how to succeed with the bottom 10% of your employees.
This was written by Dan Rockwell on his blog titled: Leadership Freak
Every organization has a bottom 10% of employees, leaders, and managers who perform poorly.
Your goal, if you can’t remove the bottom 10% is to maximize the situation.
7 reasons for poor performance:
- Negative environments where managers are dictatorial, disconnected, or incompetent.
- Leadership that tolerates poor performers.
- No honor for high performers. Organizations that give across the board raises encourage poor performance.
- Lack of connection with colleagues.
- Lack of commitment to do well.
- Talent or skill deficit.
- Distraction because of personal issues.
Succeeding with the bottom 10%:
- Address it; don’t ignore it. In many ways, leaders get what they tolerate. Successful leaders address issues others ignore.
- Commit to building an environment that promotes and honors high achievement.